Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Lip Clips....My Teacher is Crazy!


Has our teacher lost her mind? Well...the jury is out. However, I would wager to believe that my students will remember the lesson....well hopefully AT LEAST some of it. We talked today about hooking introductions. We discussed why you need them, the five types, and examples of each. Students know that from today on they are expected, in each paper they write, to have a hooking introduction. Quiz your students on the five types and challenge them to give you examples of each. Below are the examples from today's prompt....and an explanation why I look the way I do. :)

Students were shown the prompt below and challenged to brainstorm and write a paper over the topic.


While the students were ooooh'ing and aaaah'ing over the photo and daydreaming of the possibility, I quickly placed on my own lip clips. My chosen flavor for the lip clips happened to be...pickles.

See the options below listed (using the prompt and information above) when choosing what introduction to create for your composition.

Type #1: Action -You begin the sentence with an action verb.
Licking my lips for the third time, I still could not believe I could actually taste the flavor of pickles on my tongue.

Type #2: Onomatopoeia -Sound Words
Smack! My lips tasted so good, I could hardly control my excitement.

Type #3: Dialogue -Talking
"Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love my new lip clips Willy Wonka!"

Type #4: Question
Do you like the flavor and taste of pickles?

Type #5: Feeling
I rushed to the mailbox and peeked inside. My heart leaped out of my chest in excitement when I saw the box addressed to me from Willy Wonka!

*Students for every piece of their writing need to choose ONE of these types to use as their introduction. Hooking your reader is so very important. If you received a boring paper, would you want to read it?