Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Happy Birthday Caddo Grove!

Today my fourth grade students celebrated the Birthday of our school, Caddo Grove. This year I am trying to give my students as many experiences as I can in hopes that they use these experiences to draw from on the STAAR Narrative portion of the Writing Test. So we decided to make a day of it. We started off in morning assembly recognizing the school and then off to the classroom. In my Language Arts class we did several birthday related activities. First, we did the Writing Hokey (a "Writing" lyric themed version of the Hokey Pokey), then we completed two Birthday themed Mad Libs. Next we played Parts of Speech BINGO and "Pin the Subject to the Predicate". We ended class with a Spelling Pinata game. In their Math and Reading classes the teachers also geared their classes to the Birthday Theme. Students ended the day with....of course......CUPCAKES! You can't have a birthday party without some sort of cake! If was a great day and I hoping some sort of impact was made.